Death by Chocolate
Written By: Paul Freed
Directed By: Denise McDonough
Monday February 25th 6:00 - 9:00pm
Wednesday February 27th 6:00 - 9:00pm
The Garrison Players Arts Center
449 Roberts Road
Tuesday, Thursday and Friday evenings, 6-9PM, beginning mid-March.
First read thru Saturday March 16th 10am - 12pm
There may be some Saturdays required, but not scheduled at this time.
May 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 and 18 @ 8pm
May 5 and 12 @ 2:00pm
Bring your resume, a recent headshot and a list of known conflicts to submit for your audition.
Auditions will consist of selected readings from the script.
All levels of talent are welcome, and all roles are open.
Synopsis of "Death By Chocolate"
Members of the newly renovated Meadowbrook Health Resort are dropping like flies, including famed chef Edith Chiles! On the eve of the grand re-opening, this is not the best advertisement. It's up to John Stone, the manager, to find the cause and the murderer. Delightfully sarcastic and cynical, Stone finds himself teaming up with Ed Parlor, mystery writer and amateur sleuth, in a wacky race against time. The clues point to a sinister box of chocolates, and the suspects include all the outlandish characters working for the resort. Could it be Lady Riverdale, owner of the resort and a woman with dark secrets? Or Ralph Deadwood, gym instructor and all around cad? Dick Simmering, the aerobics instructor? Anne, the panic-stricken nurse? Or could it be "Sweet Pea" Meadowbrook, overweight and grieving daughter of the recently deceased founder of the resort? Death by Chocolate combines all the elements of classic murder mysteries with a scathing satire of today's health crazes.
Character Descriptions: Ensemble Cast
- LADY RIVERDALE - Owner of Lady Riverdale Chocolates, Inc. and the new owner of the Meadowbrook Health Resort. She is the pompous, high society type except when occasionally required to use a "viscious street shrewdness" to survive.
- DYSLEXIA - Lady Riverdale's assistant and long-suffering secretary.
- JOHN STONE - The new manager of the Meadowbrook Health Resort (and how he got there, no one knows). He is quick-witted and finds almost everything absurd (a basic cynical sort of person). A cross between Groucho Marks and Hawkeye Pierce (M.A.S.H.)
- RALPH DEADWOOD - The Gym Manager and all-around cad. Knowing all about Lady Riverdale's past, he has used that knowledge to get whatever he can from her. Gangster/bully.
- MARGARET DANIELS - A very attractive woman who is trying to write a feature story on the resort for a leading gossip magazine. Intelligent and confident.
- ALFRED MELLOX - He is in charge of the janitorial staff and maintenance for the resort (a position given to him only because he was the trusted companion of the late Henry Meadowbrook). He is very stiff, rigid, and typical "butler-type" with a clipped British accent.
- EDITH CHILES - The Head Chef. She is a rather large, buxom sort of woman with a jovial personality and New England Matronly manners (whatever that means).
- "SWEET PEA" MEADOWBROOK - Daughter of the late Henry Meadowbrook. Extremely overweight, she seems to be trying to eat herself to death because of the trauma of losing her father. Her mouth is always full of food and no one can understand her without the help of Alfred Mellow.
- DICK SIMMERING - The Aerobics Instructor. Always garbed in a jogging outfit, he is a bright, hyperactive, effeminate person.
- ANNE - The resort nurse who tends to panic at the slightest injury.
- ED PARLOR - Guest of Lady Riverdale's, he is a writer with a cheery disposition and enjoys the opportunity to try and solve the mysterious deaths by chocolate.
- HENRY MEADOWBROOK - The founder of the Meadowbrook Health Resort, he is never seen since he dies in the opening moments of the play.